26 Sep APPLE PLUM CRISP
Rosh Hashanah and Sukkot are perfect times for cooking with apples and plums. They are both in season and delicious. I prefer to use Italian plums in this recipe but if you can’t get them, feel free to use any plums. You can also substitute the plums with pears or any favorite firm fruit. You can also make these in individual ramekins and serve with a scoop of parve ice cream or whipped cream.
• 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
• 1 pound Italian prune plums, pitted and halved
• 3 granny smith apples (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored and sliced
• ¾ cup oatmeal
• 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• Vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a little of the margarine to grease a five- to six-cup baking dish. Melt two tablespoons of the butter.
2. Toss plums and apples together in a bowl with melted butter, a quarter cup oatmeal, a half cup brown sugar and a half teaspoon cinnamon. Spread in baking dish.
3. Use fork or pastry blender to combine remaining oatmeal, sugar and cinnamon with remaining margarine until crumbly. Spread over fruit. Bake about 40 minutes, until bubbly.